With a revival of The Great Gatsby opening in theaters next month, we wanted to highlight some of our favorite ways to channel the 1920s at your next event. Whether you’re planning a wedding, anniversary party, or get together for the movie’s opening, we hope you love these ideas as much as we do!
The Plaza in New York, which is featured in both the book and upcoming film, has created a signature Great Gatsby cocktail. Impress your guests with this recipe:
Moët Imperial Gatsby
1 sugar cube + 3 dashes green Chartreuse + 5 ounces Moet Imperial Champagne + Lemon twist garnish
Place sugar cube in the bottom of a champagne flute. Add a few dashes of Green Chartreuse. Fill remainder of glass with Champagne and garnish with lemon twist.
Other popular 1920s liquors included brandy, champagne, whiskey and martinis.
Use Spotify to create a playlist of some of the greatest from the 1920s. Here are a few classics to get you started:
1. Swanee – Al Jolson
2. West End Blues – Louis Armstrong
3. Rhapsody In Blue – Paul Whiteman featuring George Gershwin
4. Ain’t Misbehavin’ – Fats Waller / Louis Armstrong
5. T For Texas (Blue Yodel #1) – Jimmie Rodgers
6. In The Jailhouse Now – Jimmie Rodgers
7. The Prisoner’s Song – Vernon Dalhart
8. The St. Louis Blues – Bessie Smith / Marion Harris
9. Ol’ Man River – Paul Robeson / Al Jolson
10. Makin’ Whoopee – Eddie Cantor/ Paul Whiteman (Bing Crosby)
11. Crazy Blues – Mamie Smith
12. My Blue Heaven – Gene Austin / Paul Whiteman
13. Sonny Boy – Al Jolson
14. Dardanella – Ben Selvin
15. It Had To Be You – Isham Jones / Marion Harris
16. Pine Top’s Boogie Woogie – Pine Top Smith
17. Whispering – Paul Whiteman
18. My Mammy – Al Jolson / Paul Whiteman
19. Down Hearted Blues – Bessie Smith
20. Charleston – Arthur Gibbs /Paul Whiteman
Items that were popular ranged from fruit cocktail and jello molds to deviled eggs and tea sandwiches. Here are 50 Tea Sandwich Ideas from the Food Network.
We also love this recipe for Mini Pineapple Upside-down Cakes.
Flapper dresses, feathers and bold suits would be the standard for anyone attending a Gatsby party.
Visit our Pinterest Gatsby Greats Board to see some of our favorite 1920s-inspired wedding dresses.
Want help with the details? Give Hello Productions a call and we will help you dazzle your guests with an event that is reminiscent of a good jazz song, a great martini, flapper dresses and a lot of fun!