We recently talked with Colleen Banko of Kata Banko Couture. She has a veiling and accessory company geared towards brides. I can personally comment on how fabulous she is as she created a custom hair piece for my 2011 wedding! Read below for more details about her and her work:
1. Tell us a little about you and your business.
Kata Banko Couture is a veiling and accessory company geared towards bridal. I started the company in 2010 after seeing the lack of high quality bridal accessories, and the lack of customization for the bride.
Every piece is hand sewn and carefully thought out, using only the finest materials and techniques. Did I mention that I love my job!!
2. How far in advance do you recommend meeting with the bride if you are going to design something custom for them?
I recommend that a bride meet with me 1 to 2 months in advance, before the wedding date, for a custom designed item.
3. Would you prefer brides to provide you with photos they like of accessories/headpieces, or would you rather they come to you with an open mind?
Pictures are always welcome when a bride is deciding what she would like created, it helps with visualizing. I love when I get a call for a custom piece and can just go with it rather than following picture guidelines; it’s always nice to make something so very different.
4. For brides on a budget (but who still want a beautiful hairpiece or sash), do you have any advice?
For brides on a budget, a custom piece is quite tricky. Usually custom pieces take more time and materials that I may not stock, so the expense is on the designers end as well. Custom pieces start at $150 and can go to $3000.
If you are on a tight budget, keep in mind that this is your big day. Don’t skimp on your look; when you look back at your wedding photos you want them to be beautiful and it’s your day, you want to be completely happy with your choices.
5. Are there any new trends in bridal accessories right now?
The big trend I see coming back is actually an old trend with a new spin, the veil! Top your veil with a “Gatsby” look boho band or a halo of flowers or full on bling. Also the belt!!! This is here to stay; it completely changes the dress and makes it your own.
6. What is your favorite thing about what you do?
My absolute favorite thing I get to do is work with so many interesting people and I get to be a part of their big day!! This is such a privilege!
7. Anything else you want us to share with our readers?
Yes … Remember this day is about you, and your likes and dislikes. I know we all want our mothers and bridesmaids to like what we like but the truth is, it’s all about you.
Interested in one of Colleen’s pieces? Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit her website at www.katabankobrides.com or Facebook page at www.facebook.com/katabankobrides to see more amazing accessories!